Power Screws, Speed and Efficiency

Along with efficiency, speed for power screws is one of the most important considerations when selecting a product. Acme screws are most commonly used at 100 rpm or less, with some applications running in the 300 rpm range.

Because of their relatively low efficiency, when faster traverse rates are needed, Hi-leads®, Torqsplines® or Ball screws should be considered.

Bear in mind that for an Acme screw drive system with an efficiency of 30%, the remainder of input energy (70%) ends up as heat.

Heavily loaded and fast Acme drives heat up very quickly and may need very short duty cycles to prevent seizure.

Hi-leads®, Torqsplines® and Ball screw drives are much better suited to high traverse rates. Their mechanical efficiencies are higher resulting in much less heat generation.